Which Americans are on the I Bonds? @ 03:16 pm
Eight Americans are honored on the I Bonds, representing the diversity that built this country, made it what it is today, and will take it into the future. Portraits of the following prominent Americans appear on the eight I Bond denominations.
- $50 - Helen Keller - Noted author and advocate for people with disabilities; responsible for Braille becoming the standard for printed communications with the blind.
- $75 - Dr. Hector P. Garcia - Physician; leading advocate for Mexican-American veterans' rights; activist in Latino civil rights movement and founder of the American G.I. Forum.
- $100 - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. - Prominent civil rights leader; minister; Nobel Peace Prize recipient.
- $200 - Chief Joseph - Nez Perce Chief; a great Native American leader.
- $500 - General George C. Marshall - U.S. Army Chief of Staff during World War II; Secretary of State; Secretary of Defense; Nobel Peace Prize recipient.
- $1,000 - Albert Einstein - Physicist; author of the Theory of Relativity; Nobel Prize recipient for Physics.
- $5,000 - Marian Anderson - World-renowned vocalist (contralto); first African-American to sing with the Metropolitan Opera.
- $10,000 - Spark Matsunaga - U.S. Senator and Congressman; World War II hero; obtained redress for survivors of World War II internment camps.